Tuesday 29 January 2013

Supervisor meeting 2 (semester 2) - feedback

This supervisor meeting was arranged as a means of reassurance and development. As stated in my agenda, I needed a few things checked/reassured and direction towards getting my project off to a start. This meeting with Brian Robinson was very productive because it helped me understand the direction in which my project is heading.

Firstly, I showed Brian my newly updated project aim and objectives based on the new direction we both discussed in the previous meeting. After that, I showed Brian my deliverables list, explaining that I had set a number of deliverables to each objective. Finally, I showed Brian my personal criteria for the genre of horror in film, briefly explaining all the criteria points and the references I had used.

Brian was very pleased to see the progress I had made, delighted at the fact that my own confidence in this project was at a much higher level. Moving onto feedback, Brian explained that I should try and move forward with some practical examples and as a practitioner, I should still be wary of the critical process. Brian and I noted my agreed actions points as we went along, discussing what practical examples I should be working on and what I could do to develop my project from there. Brian suggested I look at critically acclaimed horror titles in Japan, Europe and America and discover what is it about these films that has earned them such notoriety.

I made the suggestion of remakes, how certain films from one country can be remade with the influences of another. Brian suggested I find horror films that have been remade in another region i.e. a Japanese title remade in America, or even titles that have been influenced by an original source. Next, Brian encouraged me to explore something called Epistemology which is the nature of knowledge to a practising artist, which in turn, will help me understand what is true knowledge and what is false knowledge. Next came the four C's; codes and conventions, criteria and characteristics. I told Brian I had been having trouble distinguishing the difference between criteria and characteristics, therefore, Brian suggested I look into both as well as codes and conventions for each location's horror films (Japan, Europe and America), take what I have learned from studying these elements and apply it to my own criteria.

Moving onto my project deliverables list, Brian suggested I try improving my personal art skills i.e. drawing, painting and photography in order to help me develop a visual language for my project, improve my skills and create better quality work for my portfolio submission at the end of semester two. This led to the recommendation of creating a PDP (personal development plan) to organise the practice and improvement of these skills. In relation to the aesthetics of my project, Brian suggested I prioritise improving my line, tone and colour skills. Finally, I mentioned to Brian that I was having trouble finding helpful resources in the library therefore, Brian recommended some topics for me to look up relevant to the development of my project including mise en scene, film language, media studies, communication theory and critical theory.

This meeting helped push my project forward, giving me a lot to do as well as inspire more future works, not to mention create a more solid understanding of critical thinking and analysis. Below I have outlined my next set of agreed action points. I hope to complete at least three of these tasks for our group meeting on Thursday and perhaps more for my next meeting with Brian on Friday.


  1. Critically acclaimed Japanese, American and Horror 
  2. Remakes/influence 
  3. Refine & define own criteria through a developing understating of theory and practice - for example, horror environment informed by current knowledge then develop 
  4. Epistemology - nature of knowledge to a practising artist 
  5. Codes and conventions, criteria and characteristics   
  6. Develop visual language for project 
  7. PDP - personal development plan (observational skills, drawing, painting, etc.) - line, tone and colour 
  8. Books on film theory - mise en scene, film language, media studies, communication theory, critical theory


No comments:

Post a Comment