Wednesday 2 January 2013

Interior setting research - isolation and decay (continued)

In this post I have continued from my previous post by attempting to portray feelings of isolation via signs of decay. Using my concept drawings as inspiration, I have created a sci-fi themed prison door and displayed signs of decay with rust.

Design process
To begin, I used a series of rectangles to create the shape of the doorway and the door. I then cut the shapes in half for later duplication. I made sure to enter lines in the door so that I could mould shapes and grooves into it to promote the sci-fi aesthetic.

 After that, I moulded flat grooves and shapes into door by adding more lines to the ones I had previously put in so that I could extrude them into the door. I then went onto transforming the closing side of the door into a shape that could be complimented when duplicated. I made sure to bevel my edges in order to remove some of the sharpness of the lines in the door.

Next, I duplicated the finished door mesh as well as the doorway to get a complete shape. Finally, I manipulated the closing side of the opposite door, allowing the doors to join when brought together. As an extra level of detail, I made sure that some of the bevelled edges on each door were drawn back in order to give a more three-dimensional and in turn, sci-fi aesthetic.


To complete my 3D model, I then had to texture it and add rust in order to project signs of decay. Using a darkened grey for the base of the metal doors, I complimented the primary colour with a darkened maroon/brown to display rust. As rust cannot form out of nothingness, I took into account the influences of rust i.e. air moisture, water and salt. As there would be no salt present in the corridors of any prison, this leaves only water and moisture in the air. The rust located in the bottom corners of the doors I have depicted as a result of water, whereas the rust I placed higher up the doors is depicted as a result of air moisture. In order to decide where the rust would go I had to be realistic, focusing on the key points of the door, which are where the door joins and locks and the extruded shapes and grooves within the doors design, as well as the upper corner of the door where air moisture would gather.





What relevance does this test provide towards the development of my project and horror?
As explained in my previous post, smaller details are important in promoting realism within an environment therefore, understanding how the smaller details evoke particular reactions or emotions/feelings/moods is necessary into creating a more realistic and effective horror atmosphere within my 3D environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment