Thursday 17 January 2013

Choosing a setting (continued) - Japan

In this post I will be researching horror in computer and video games for my three possible locations to see which country can provide the most resources and references. I will then be researching cultural events or traditions in each country for a possible theme for my 3D environment. After compiling lists on the these components for each country, I will then make a final decision based on my findings mixed with my original research at the beginning of my project.

http://okinawahai.com/images/2012/01/1955Japans_flag.jpg



Films
Researching this did not take me as long as I thought it would. Luckily, I stumbled across a website called Asian-Horror-Movies.com which lists all Japanese horror productions since the year 1950. The list is incredibly long therefore, I have posted the link to this site at the bottom of this post. There were lots of other sites that provided information on Japanese horror cinema which makes me feel confident that Japan will have a lot to offer on my other two research components/categories.


http://www.avistaz.me/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/one-missed-call-japanese-horror-movie.jpg



Computer and video games
Japan is also notorious for computer and video game titles in the horror genre. Unlike the examples I have provided for horror films in Japan, I will be listing games companies that are commonly known for developing horror games along with a few nameable titles



http://www.pcguru.hu/pcguru/img/leirasok/dobozkep/Resident_Evil_1_-_Front_Cover.jpg




Capcom
  • Resident Evil series (1996)
  • Dino Crisis series (1999)
  • Sweet Home (1989)
  • Dead Rising series (2006)

Konami
  •  Silent Hill series (1999)
  • Aliens (1990)

Sega
  • Alien vs Predator (2010)
  • Aliens: Colonial Marines (2013)



Cultural events or traditions
The Japanese culture is rich, full of ancient and modern traditions. After some scouring online, primarily on history websites and travel agents, I have found a Japanese tourism website that details all of the country's traditions, making it apparent that the Japanese people have a lot more traditions and cultural events than I first anticipated. Like the list of Japanese horror films, the list of events is also vast in size therefore, I have put a link to the site at the bottom of this post.


http://www.japan-iwate.info/cgi_data/location/0056-01.jpg




What could this country provide towards the development of my project and horror?
It is safe to say that Japan is very enthusiastic about horror in film. When looking for inspiration in horror film if I choose Japan, resources will not be a problem. This will also benefit the development of my project because the titles date back to the 1950's therefore, I will be able to see how lighting, shadows and colour have evolved over time to depict horror. The production of horror in computer and video games in Japan is as enthusiastic as the development of film. Again, when looking for examples of lighting, shadows and colour in Japanese designed computer and video games, resources will not be short. The Japanese culture is enriched with dozens of traditions and cultural events, which if chosen, could be very helpful in deciding a theme or location-based setting because it gives me many options to research and use as inspiration for horror.

Japanese films website: http://www.asian-horror-movies.com/indexm.html
Tourism website: http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/attractions/event/traditionalevents/

No comments:

Post a Comment