Friday 11 January 2013

Interior setting research - props





Ensuring that no stone is unturned in terms of detail, I have drawn up a series of designs for the beds within the holding cells of my prison environment. I began by setting out necessary dimensions for the bed designs, focusing on both height, width and depth. This was to ensure that all the designs were the same size and precise as possible. Each drawing was crafted by manipulating shapes and lines to form an individual and unique design, making sure that repeating the exact same design pattern was avoided.

Some of the designs do share similarities but are not exact replicas. I constructed each design by studying the previous one and looking for ways to manipulate or alter the shapes, thickness and lengths of the base, legs and rear. Taking into account the skills I had developed in high school for graphic communication, I transferred the measurements form the side view on the left over to the right in order to create the perspective from the rear, again maintaining high precision. The purpose of these concept designs is to make the physical design process of this project easier and quicker to create in Maya. The next stage of the concept process will be to create a series of floor plans, displaying the layout to each floor of the prison.


What relevance do these drawing serve towards the development of my project and horror?
When creating any 3D environment, regardless of the genre or theme, one must consider all aspects of the design process and the importance of props. Props can be used to scare, not just for adding something to the aesthetic. As I am to portray the genre of horror within my 3D environment, I have to make sure that I cover every physical element included in my completed piece. Props can also be used to my advantage in depicting horror because even beds can hold some relevance in any environment, perhaps to hold bodies, signs of a struggle with decayed blood, as a barricade for a last stand. Just because a prop is not scary does not mean it is not relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment