Thursday 17 January 2013

Choosing a setting (continued) - Swizerland

Continuing my research on my three settings for my 3D horror environment, I will now be doing Switzerland, looking for any examples of Swiss made films and computer and video games.

http://therealrevo.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/swiss_mountains_1_swiss_flag.jpg

Films
  • Benny's Video (1992)
  • Humains (2009) - french/swiss
  • Jack the Ripper (1976) - swiss/german
  • One Way Trip 3D (2011)
  • Sennentuntschi (2010)
  • Supernova (2000)
The horror film scene was very thin for Switzerland as these were the only titles I could find in the genre that were as close as possible to Swiss. There were a few others however, upon reading their descriptions they sounded more like sexploitation films or comedy films which can't really be used or deemed suitable for my research. Some of the film titles I found had too much contradictory information and so I decided to list the ones that were either based in Switzerland or directed by a Swiss person.

http://www.euromovies.me/wp-content/uploads/posters/pos1yuy.jpg

Games
The Swiss gaming industry is not as dead as I thought it was however, the vast majority of projects or games made by companies such as Crown ADAM, EverdreamSoft and Gbanga are mobile, educational, pervasive location-based or online/social games. I could not recognise any major works in horror therefore, Switzerland is very unhelpful for researching the genre or sources of inspiration for the development of my project.

https://twimg0-a.akamaihd.net/profile_images/1294382543/EDSlogo.jpg

Cultural events or traditions
Despite being few in horror on films and nil on games, the swiss culture outweighs those of Japan. As the source of information for cultural events or traditions in Japan were mainly tourism websites, I started there. Eventually, I found a guide site for Switzerland that lists all the cultural events and traditions for this year, and the list is absolutely massive. Instead of listing every event and making this the world's longest blog post, I have posted the link to the website at the bottom of the page.


http://writeon.swissinfo.ch/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/esclade.jpg







What could this country provide towards the development of my project and horror?

Overall, Switzerland has a very large number of yearly traditions which would serve as a large sources for a theme in my 3D environment however, as horror titles are few and gaming titles are nil, this country would be very poor in terms of inspirational or useful resources, which would not be productive to the development of my project and creating a horror atmosphere.


Cultural events and traditions link: 
http://www.swiss-switzerland.com/fairs-and-festivals-in-switzerland.html#January-Festivals

No comments:

Post a Comment