Friday 25 January 2013

Supervisor meeting 1 (semester 2) - feedback

After the group meeting in which we all discussed critical thinking, I sat down with Brian Robinson to go over my agenda points. I put both the problems together, explaining to Brian that I didn't know what to do for the submission deliverables, resources and major tasks, to which I then told him I was also unsure about the direction my project was taking.

Firstly, Brian tried to get me to understand the development of my project thus far, reminding me not to undermine my works because I had began to get disheartened at certain choices I had made over semester one. I was struggling at first to comprehend the critical thinking process, but when Brian drew it out on a piece of paper showing me the steps I had taken, I felt a lot more confident in my progress so far. Next, Brian explained to me the difference in subjective and objective thinking so that I can break down project-relevant resources and my own works more critically.

After that, Brian and I looked towards my project aim and objectives. As previously mentioned, I was unsure about the direction of my project, where I was heading next, what I was going to submit, there were many questions of worry. Brian said he like the idea of horror in Japan, to which we discussed the level of enthusiasm and passion Japan has for the genre of horror. We both discussed what makes Japanese horror different from horror titles in other countries. This led to my a preliminary direction for my new project aim and objectives which was to highlight the unique characteristics of Japanese horror.

With this new direction, Brian exclaimed the importance of building my own criteria for horror films, as well as discovering/researching the common criteria for horror films so that I have a critical framework when researching horror and creating practical examples relevant to the development of my project. Finally, Brian gave me a series of tasks to complete for Monday which I have listed below.

  1. New project aim & objectives
  2. Personal criteria for horror films
  3. Common criteria for horror films
  4. Project deliverables list

No comments:

Post a Comment