Monday 13 May 2013

Personal horror interpretation (3D) - lighting

What?
Below I have outlined the lights I have placed in my 3D personal horror interpretation and the reason(s) for my lighting choices.

Why?
Portraying certain lighting techniques allows me to round off my visual story, capture the intended horror atmosphere and adhere to the lighting choices depicted within Japanese directed horror.

Hanging light bulbs:
Focusing on the light bulb props, I surrounded the bulb with low level volume lights to convey lighting bouncing off of the surrounding surfaces and the projected illumination. Using a singular large volume light, I scaled it to the size of the room, leaving enough surfaces with different levels of lighting intensity to convey the first of Japanese directed horror lighting - three point lighting. Initially, I was going to use multiple spotlights, however, this created a glare and removed a lot of projected shadows.


Lamps:
Conveying high contrasting lighting using the lamps was easier than I thought. After applying depth map shadows, it was a simple matter of placing two separate spotlights pointing up and down, using a fairly high intensities and widely spread cone angles. The lampshade did not appear illuminated, therefore, I used a few low intensity volume lights and placed them around the lamp shade mesh.


Reflective lighting
A small touch of detail I made sure not to overlook was the manor in which lights reflect and/or bounce off surrounding surfaces. I placed widely spread, low intensity volume lights towards the doorways of each section/room of the cabin to ensure light was appropriately and realistically bouncing off the surrounding surfaces and floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment