Sunday 5 May 2013

Exposition research (part IV) - layout

What?
In this post I will be outlining my showcase layout, focusing specifically on materials, layout and colour.

Why?
To give a rough understanding of how I will be presenting my selected works, what colours I will be selecting and what materials I will be using.

Layouts
Below I have highlighted my original design/layout presented in the infrastructure form as well as a rough idea of my layout for the showcase.

***NOTE***
I use the word materials to describe actual materials, as in glass, card, paper, etc. I realise that the honours handbook uses 'materials' in a different context, therefore, I would just like to clear this up.

Original layout
This was the original design for my showcase layout, admittedly, it was very off but the principal design is still something I wish to follow. Initially, I thought that each student was allocated both walls, however, I was corrected by the lecturers and was soon back on track. I still want to include a table in order to present my sketchbooks, however, the rest of it needs adjusting.

Final layout (1st draft)
This is the layout I would prefer to use because it is both functional and professional. I wanted to show off the stages of my honours project. therefore, I placed three A3 sheets below the main project poster. I initially tried to set the poster as A1 in size, however, it did not leave much room for the rest of my arranged setup. The personal statement will lie to the right hand side of the A3 project development sheets and my business cards will be underneath it. In the bottom right corner I will have a small table set up with my sketchbooks on top of it to further display the development of my project. I feel a less-is-more approach makes this arrangement more professional and tidy in appearance.

Materials 
The materials I will be using will most likely consist of printing paper for my selected works & project poster and card will be used to frame all of my selected pieces, including the personal statement and the project poster. The holder I will be using will most likely be plastic or metallic, depending on where I can find one. I have selected card as my choice of framing material because it is basic, presents a tidy aesthetic and maintains a professional standard within my showcase layout.

Colours 
My colour selections will be primarily consist of greys, blacks and white in order to highlight my identified knowledge of saturation and a heightened grey-scale in Japanese directed horror films. 
Using Adobe's Kuler, I have identified a full tonal range which I would like to use for my materials, font colour and project poster. This colour selection also matches the colours used for my business cards which features a white to black tonal range. Despite the fact that some of my research, concept and final work feature different saturated colour values/patterns, I feel this tonal range will help maintain a professional aesthetic within my showcase layout.

Next steps
  • Business cards
  • Project poster
  • Select final pieces for showcase
  • 3 x stages of project development (A3)

3 comments:

  1. Just incase you don't know; you only get one wall :) Not both. The other belongs to your expo buddy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. forgot to mention it up top, thats why I referenced my version from infrastructure form, I didn't realise it was one wall XD

      Delete