Wednesday 8 May 2013

Exposition research (part VII) - personal statement

This a quick blog post to outline my personal statement for my layout at the honours project showcase.

I asked my supervisor, Brian Robinson, about how I should construct my personal statement, to which he gave me a bullet pointed outline.

  • Less than two hundred words
  • My name
  • My academic interests 
  • The area of research I am exploring for my project
  • How my honours project has developed me personally.

This is not the final version as I am seeking guidance and correction from a previous honours project student, however, I thought I would outline what I have thus far:



“We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones.” - Stephen King
 

Hello there, my name is Murray MacNab, forth year computer artist.

3D and 2D environmental design are my key areas of expertise, as well as my most favoured of interests. I take great enthusiasm in conceptual research and the formal analytical process, particularly observing and adapting to the works of professional digital painters and environmental designers (2D or 3D).


The area of research which I have selected to explore is that of the horror genre in the medium of film, specifically Japanese directed horror. I selected this area of research because I have always favoured horror cinema above all other film genres/categories. The specified focus of my project is aimed towards Japanese directed horror because I have always felt that Eastern horror titles are much more successful in portraying a memorable and cultural-based horror atmosphere instead of recycling the same predictable characteristics found in Western directed horror titles.


Creating this honours project has helped develop me personally on so many levels because I feel my technical, observational and analytical skills have been enhanced tenfold to that of any previous academic period and has opened my eyes to several new design techniques, styles and research methods.


Please enjoy my works displayed around you and do not hesitate to ask me about my honours project or anything else.


Enjoy,


Murray Alan MacNab
BA (Hons) Computer Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment