Monday 13 May 2013

Personal horror interpretation (3D) - props

What?
Below I have outlined the props I have selected for my 3D personal horror interpretation and the reason(s) for my design choices.

Why?
Selecting appropriately themed and quantified props will enable me to enhance the horror atmosphere and the visual story I am am trying to portray in my 3D personal horror interpretation.

Prop selection

To prevent confusion, I will be using this picture from my previous 3D sketchbook post to clarify which room is which.

After analysing the referenced images in my previous 3D sketchbook post, focusing specifically on examples from Evil Dead 2 (1987), I was now ready to start designing and arranging my props. In the living room I wanted to create the impression that the owner of this cabin does not have a lot of possessions, that he/she is a person of little means, adhering to the my intended projection of deterioration and neglect. I placed a lamp, a desk, a stool, a couch and a number of framed artworks on the walls. I will most likely be removing the couch as I feel it does not blend with the rest of the objects in the room. To create a sense of scale and space, I placed a flat plane in the centre of the room which, when textured, will be a rug.

The study has been transformed into a 'killing room' to enhance and produce a more clear visual story from this horror scene. I have placed a table in the killing room which victims are tied to and murdered, with a small side table for implements used to perform the killings. I really want to make this room as simple and well planned as can be, therefore, I will be removing the small table in the corner to keep the focus on the table in the centre of the room.

I wanted the kitchen to be simple, dark and rusty, therefore, I made the props visually depict this. A fridge, a cooker and a set of cabinets, this room screams simplicity, which I intend to convey further when texturing, showing deteriorated wood and rusty metal. This room was already full hence why I did not add any paintings to the walls.

I wanted to make the owner of this shed to appear like a vagrant, with few, badly conditioned possessions and materials. A wooden bed frame, a thin uncomfortable looking mattress and a single pillow makes this setting appear more lonely, evoking feelings of isolation and abandonment. Again, to add more background detail, I threw in a another framed painting on the wall.

Finally, I added some character to the hallway by placing a cabinet with a lamp and framed family photograph to further paint a visual story and heighten the intended themes of abandonment and isolation. I have placed only four lights in this scene, however, I may alter this when I come to lighting the scene.


No comments:

Post a Comment