Wednesday 24 April 2013

Exposition research (part II) - McManus galleries [part 4]

What?
This is the forth and final part of my research piece focusing on the layouts and display of the works on exhibition at the McManus galleries in the centre of Dundee.
Why?
To gather a greater understanding how one displays a variety of works, using different materials, colours, labelling and arrangements/layouts.

Below, I have uploaded some of the images I took on my visit to the McManus, focusing on layouts which have been used for the exhibited pieces, highlighting any positives or negatives and building conclusive results relevant towards the development of showcasing my work at the end of the semester.

Exhibits
I loved this exhibited piece because of the simplicity of the layout is just wonderful. There are not too many pictures/paintings featured, therefore, the presence of this piece is not overwhelming to visitors. The sizes of the featured paintings/pictures differ, however, they all seem to link together even though they are not intended to. The lower picture/painting draws a negative towards this exhibited piece as a whole because it does not blend with the other pictures, however, it does not detract from the simple nature of the layout.

This vertically dominant exhibited piece caught my attention because the manor in which the pictures and text were arranged were extremely neatly presented. The text was not placed too high and did not interrupt the pictures on the right. The shapes do not conflict, however, there is no particular sizing pattern/scheme which makes this exhibited piece look somewhat disorganised.

This exhibited piece (including many others just like it which continued all the way along a wide back wall) was one of my favourites because the layout made it look like an encyclopaedia piece, placing pictures of roughly the same size in a unique fashion alongside their appropriate labels. The piece looks balanced and organised, it made me want to pay attention as my mind and attention usually go astray from time to time. The down side here is the text, personally, I would have made it slightly bigger for those with visual difficulties.

Conclusion:
This research piece was very helpful towards my expositional studies because it now allows me to understand what might be considered too much, that simpler arrangements of my completed works may be somewhat off putting and reminding me once again (an over-heard saying) that less is more, making me step back and focus on selecting my best or most relevant pieces only, thus ensuring my exhibited works appear professional, organised and appealing to the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment