Thursday 21 February 2013

Semester 2 - pitch feedback

Here, I have outlined the steps which I carried out for my pitch presentation and the feedback I received at the end. My presentation is rather large, therefore,  I have outlined each stage of my semester two progress in bullet point form with a short summary, followed by detailed feedback from each lecturer that overlooked my presentation.

Progress
  • Progress I - updated project aim
 New project aim
  • Progress II - updated project objectives
 New project objectives following my new project aim
  • Progress III - updated project deliverables list
 New project deliverables list based on my new project objectives
  • Progress IV - personal development portfolio
 Summarising the personal developments I have made from the beginning of semester one to date
  • Progress V - research
 Areas of research I have explored since the beginning of semester two
  • Progress VI - collage
 My first ever artistic collage based on Friday the 13th (2009), complete with a formal analysis
  • Progress VII - personal horror interpretation
 My own 3D horror interpretation and the necessary design steps.
  • Progress VIII - showcase
 The layout of my work for the end of academic year showcase.
  • Progress IX - next steps
The steps I will be taking to further develop my project

Feedback
After my presentation, the floor was open to questions and feedback. Lynn Parker opened, firstly stating that I should try and slow down when I'm speaking, to relax. Next, she pointed out that the geometry for the shed in my 3D horror interpretation was a bit too precise, lacking realism in the fact that it's shape and form would not be that perfect. After that, she encouraged me to go out and photograph everyday buildings, abandoned sites and other rustic areas to gain more realistic insight to the construction of objects/props/buildings and to build up my own library of textures. Complimenting my progress, Lynn made light of my new ability to give a formal analysis, highlighting its importance to develop my own work, as well as analyse/judge others people's work. Lynn wrapped up by telling me that the space for showcasing my work was not going to be the complete size of the template, but instead, half of the given space.

Ryan Locke followed stating he thought this was the best presentation I have given to date, which was so uplifting and encouraging to hear, however, he also made light of the fact that my 3D horror interpretation had no reference, reminding me that I was trying to depict horror and should try and show some reference or source of inspiration for future works. In concurrence with Lynn, Ryan also said that my 3D horror interpretation lacked realism and I should try to capture everyday environments to promote the imagery of horror more effectively.

Brian Robinson finished by complimenting me on the development of my personal horror film criteria, noting that I had the theoretical side of my honours project really secure and focused, now I just need to produce more practical results. Brian also complimented me on the development I have made in being able to formally analyse my own work and encouraged me to pursue and keep it up.

What have I learned from this presentation?
I have learned that the manor in which I construct objects in 3D environments may be unrealistic or inaccurate, therefore, I should research anything I try to model and to to build up my own library of textures to add both my own personal touch and as much realism as possible to each creative piece. I have also learned that any work I make should contain a reference or inspiration of sorts to capture the genre I am trying to promote more effectively.

Next steps?
  • Develop personal art skills
  • Capture unique characteristics of Japanese horror 
  • Critically acclaimed horror films (Japan, America and Europe)
  • Horror film remakes/interpretations (Japan, America and Europe)
  • 4 C's (Japan, America and Europe)
  • Film theory - film language, mise-en-scene, communication theory, media studies and critical theory
  • Epistemology

No comments:

Post a Comment