Wednesday 26 September 2012

Fallout 3 and atmosphere

Some fantastic concepts of the numerous environments from the Capital Wasteland in Bethesda's Fallout 3 (2008). These concepts have been referenced as inspiration for my honours project, trying to define which direction I am going to take and what I want to do for my final piece. Here I have selected Fallout 3 to explore atmosphere in video games, focusing on how to what inspires atmosphere and how it is depicted/visualised.

Fallout 3 takes place in the nuclear fallout damaged ruins of Washington D.C, infested with scavengers and ferocious wild mutated animals. The harsh radiated streets, subways and plains are your only domain in which you must fight for your survival in the capital wasteland. Primarily full of gravel, rock and hard substances, with no sign of vegetation or plant life, the capital wasteland always presents a deserted atmosphere, creating themes of isolation and loneliness as well as anxiety and fear. The city streets are in ruin; collapsed buildings, obliterated subway tunnels, monuments in pieces and radiated waters surrounding the city limits. Studying these concepts, it is clear that atmosphere is driven or enhanced by genre therefore, selecting a genre for my project might help inspire ideas and practical examples, which in turn could then steer me towards a decision for my honours project.










No comments:

Post a Comment